[FoRK] Google Earth

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri May 27 19:00:06 PDT 2005

Just received. Wow.

Dear Stephen,

As a Keyhole subscriber, you’re invited to beta-test the next generation
of our software. As you probably know, beta software sometimes has rough
edges. You may encounter bugs and this software currently works only
with Windows 2000 and XP. If you aren’t comfortable with beta software,
you may want to wait for the formal release in a few weeks.

If you do want to try the new software, however…welcome to the Google
Earth Beta!

To begin with, Keyhole is now Google Earth, and your Keyhole 2 NV
application will be replaced with Google Earth (Plus Edition). We chose
the new name for many reasons, perhaps the most important being that the
Keyhole experience now incorporates Google search.

This lets you fly to a location, do a Google search for businesses,
addresses, and even driving directions, and the results are plotted onto
the Google Earth.

Known compatibility issues

· MS Windows 98/98SE/ME are not supported

· Does not install properly on MS Windows XP 64-bit systems

Known search problems

· International city name lookup is not working. Limited to US/UK/Canada.

Known visual problems

· Lines are not drawn with desired thickness when using DirectX

· Fonts can render incorrectly on systems with 120 DPI font settings

Installing and Running

[Note: The transition to Google Earth should automatically import your
Placemarks. But if you've invested a lot of time creating your
Placemarks in Keyhole 2 NV, you might want to back them up as a
precaution. Open Keyhole 2 NV, right-click the "My Places" folder, and
save the folder as backup.kml to your desktop.]

Step 1 – Click here to download the Beta version of Google Earth.

Step 2 – Run the installer.

Step 3 – The software should automatically recognize your existing,
active Keyhole license (it won’t work if you don’t have an active
Keyhole license). Your Keyhole 2 NV will be replaced by Google Earth
Plus on the desktop. If you decide to go back to Keyhole 2 NV, you’ll
need to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Google Earth and reinstall
Keyhole 2 NV.

Step 4 – Report any bugs via the Google Earth help menu (select “Help”
and then “report a bug” or you may report a bug by filling out the form
here).

If you’ve forgotten your password, you can retrieve it from:

http://registration.keyhole.com/pw_find_nv.html

New Features

Integrated address searching, business searching, and driving directions
Fly to an address, look up businesses, get driving directions with the
integrated Google search. Here's a quick summary of things you can do
from the new 'Search' pane in the upper left portion of the window:

* Tour your search results or ‘play’ a flight of driving directions
using the ‘Play’ button just below the search results. Double-click on
search results in the list and fly to them in the 3D view. Right-click
on individual search results, or the entire folder, to save it to your
My Places, or to do a Google search on that business.
* Note: you can now get “Directions from” and “Directions to” any search
result by right-clicking on the search result.

Improved data and 3D buildings
You may have noticed our new database, now called the "Primary
Database", when you log in. It features a new global basemap, updated
business layers and European roads, and more high-resolution aerial and
satellite imagery. In this release, we’ve also added the ability to see
3D buildings in select cities. To enable this feature, select
‘Buildings’ in the navigation panel (note: it may cause the application
to run slowly on older graphics cards).

Improved Placemark creation and sharing
Placemarks enable you to create and share favorite places. Keyhole 2 NV
offered several cool new Placemark features: custom icons, folders and
image overlays. Now Google Earth adds annotation: you can mark a trail,
outline a property, or just ‘point’ to the place you want to meet a
friend. Select the Placemark icon in the navigation panel, then choose
‘Path or Polygon.’ Google Earth shares Placemarks in a new format called
'KMZ.' This enhanced format allows you to share your custom icons and
overlays via email in a single file without an external hosting service
(compatibility note: Google Earth can read Placemarks created with
Keyhole 2 NV, but Keyhole 2 NV won’t read Placemarks created with Google
Earth).

Data import
You can now import a .CSV file (an export format for Microsoft Excel and
many other applications) that includes address data. For example, if you
have a list of locations with addresses, you can save those as a .CSV
file and import them into the application.

GPS (Global Positioning System) support
You can now import data directly from several popular GPS devices.

International improvements
Street address lookup in the fly-to search now works for UK and Canada,
and business search listings can be done in the UK as well.

Those are the high points. We hope you’ll give it a spin.

The Keyhole Google Earth Team

To unsubscribe, click here
or, send an email to: unsubscribe-22791 at uptilt.com

2005 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043