[FoRK] Apple Inside!

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:34:36 PDT 2005

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:00:44PM -0700, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
> > Apple's shifting to Intel:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/06/apple_intel_love/
>
> It is a pretty stupid move. Time to dump the stock.
>
> Not even AMD, Intel. Instead of going hardcore
> multi-core (a la Cell) it's Pentium M and dual-core at best. Lousy memory
> interface, lousy context switch latency, as compared to Power. FOSS stuff is increasibly
> source-based, the switch is transparent, but now two emulators (OS 9 and OS
> X), and two architectures (MC68xxx probably isn't supported anymore) to
> support -- proprietary software people are not enjoying it right now. They
> can't go software on beige boxes, for driver support on heterogenous hardware
> will totally kill them. Apple-branded proprietary Pentium M boxes, the worst
> of two worlds. (My god must IBM have pissed them off).
>
> X.org is getting Aqua-like rendering quite soon (though not the UI talent,
> FOSS people are hopeless geeks to know UI design if it bit them in the ass),
> so the sugar coating on the poison pill from Cupertino is starting to wear
> kinda thin.
>
> Now that Tiger's been out I was gearing up to order a Mac Mini; I think not.
> Maybe IBM is going to sell an affordable Cell box; if not, it's dual-core
> AMD64 time.

This isn't about desktop, though; this is about laptop. Both AMD and
PPC have so far proven totally incapable of doing both decent
performance and low power consumption, which Intel is pretty much
kicking ass on. If it were *just* desktop, apple would have happily
continued kicking ass with the dual G5s- but that market is shrinking,
and laptops are growing, and neither AMD nor PPC is an answer there,
clearly.

Luis