[FoRK] Apple Inside!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 6 12:45:42 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:34:36PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> This isn't about desktop, though; this is about laptop. Both AMD and

It's a good point -- though a G4 iBook is quite adequate for most mobile
needs but a gamer's, runtime, noise and thermal envelope included (gamers
don't care for these either). Double runtime with twice the battery would be
more than enough, at only slightly more weight.

> PPC have so far proven totally incapable of doing both decent
> performance and low power consumption, which Intel is pretty much
> kicking ass on. If it were *just* desktop, apple would have happily
> continued kicking ass with the dual G5s- but that market is shrinking,
> and laptops are growing, and neither AMD nor PPC is an answer there,
> clearly.

I don't care much for notebooks (Apple makes about the only beautiful
ones, and this household is saturated), so I haven't checked what
Turion 64 delivers. I guess I'll look for tablets, in two years.

If Power's going to be confined to niches (game consoles) hence, with just
Intel/AMD left in the mainstream, that's kinda going to suck.

Thanks for ruining my evening, Joabs. I hates you.