[FoRK] Apple Inside!

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:56:36 PDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:

> On 6-Jun-05, at 12:34 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > This isn't about desktop, though; this is about laptop. Both AMD and
> > PPC have so far proven totally incapable of doing both decent
> > performance and low power consumption, which Intel is pretty much
> > kicking ass on. If it were *just* desktop, apple would have happily
> > continued kicking ass with the dual G5s- but that market is shrinking,
> > and laptops are growing, and neither AMD nor PPC is an answer there,
> > clearly.
>
> The other facet is economics.  Apple loses ground on margin with
> every G4/G5 that ships.  With Intel they can actually mark UP the
> processors now.  Sure, you can shove three or four $220 G5's into a
> box but when you're getting performance parity with a mainstream $400
> Xeon, well, the writing is on the wall.
>
> Short of Motorola pulling some sort of nextgen powerPC out of their
> ass (nobody wants to go up against intel anymore), I don't even
> really think Apple has much choice.
>
> The interesting thing is how Apple adapts its marketing.   They've
> backed off on marketing performance comparisons after they were bitch-
> slapped in the Dual G5 "Fastest Desktop Ever." comparison ads last
> year.  They're subtly amping up the "we don't get viruses" and "we
> connect your devices simply" positioning as well as the traditional
> "we're easy to use" message.  Now, in the back of my head I know I
> don't really give a shit about speed and performance.  However, will
> my psyche disallow future purchases because of an almost tacit lag in
> performance?

Yeah. The UI and virus message is the one that has been winning
anyway- no one buys iPods, or recommends OS/X to their mothers,
because G5s are fast.

> It's all pretty irrelevant anyway when people are building
> applications (a la widgets) in DHTML.  yeeuuch.  What's next, a FLASH
> version of Photoshop?

Yeah... it's not clear to me that Apple is actually extending their UI
lead. There are now three widget set look+feels, plus DHTML/JS stuff.
Obviously still easier to use than the competition, but they are
resting on their laurels and in some ways going backwards.

> PS     -    Is Apple's choice to NOT allow OS X to be installed on
> grey boxes after the Intel switch a mistake?

I think it is. MS has proven that you can make fistfuls of cash
without controlling the HW platform, and Apple could still sell the
expensive shiny stuff for the margins they want, while moving in hard
on the office and server market that wants security and stability
without MS-pain.

Luis