[FoRK] Apple Inside!

Damien Morton fork at bitfurnace.com
Mon Jun 6 19:23:07 PDT 2005

I reakon this is a negotiating ploy.

As you say, they can change their minds, and are demonstrating that they
can easily do so.

IBM just locked in millions of sales in the console world. No speed
bumps required until the next gen of consoles comes out.

Apple needs continuous speed bumps, and only accounts for a fraction of
the sales that IBM will now make.

So, IBM either steps up to the plate and delivers the speed bumps, or
Apple moves on. I dont think IBM will be crying too much over this move,
considering their success with the consoles.

As far as the Apple weenies go, the transition may prove to be a whole
lot smoother than that from the 68K, and it will position Apple as an OS
vendor able to shop around for microprocessor architectures.

The possibility of buying a Dell PC and being given a choice of OSX or
Windows Longhorn is a tantalising thought. Huge resistance to that from
the Apple corporate culture, but the promise of multiplying their
installed base several-fold must be quite tasty for them, especially
considering the amount of software that Apple now sells.

Its definately an inflection point we are seeing here. Probably doesnt
bode well for Apple and Microsoft shares given the uncertaintly, but IBM
and Intel can only benefit.