[FoRK] Apple Inside!

zuzu sean.zuzu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:10:32 PDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Luis Villa <luis.villa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/05, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:

> > > I think it is. MS has proven that you can make fistfuls of cash
> > > without controlling the HW platform, and Apple could still sell the
> > > expensive shiny stuff for the margins they want, while moving in hard
> > > on the office and server market that wants security and stability
> > > without MS-pain.
> >
> > By all rational logic that should be the way to go.
> >
> > Microsoft may be holding the perceived trump card here with its A)
> > investment in Apple of $150M in 1997, which must be worth about a
> > billion now, and B) continued support for development of Office
> > applications on the OS X platform.  The second Apple did something
> > like that Microsoft could A) dump their shares, and B) fire the
> > entire Mactopia business unit.  Apple shares would tank pretty much
> > instantly, they would lose their credit facilities, shareholders
> > would finally lynch Jobs.  While I think Jobs has done some brilliant
> > things with Apple, I also believe he's living on borrowed time thanks
> > to that miserable deal nearly ten years ago.
>
> But they are moving hard to get rid of the Office dependency. The key
> to watch for is the completion of the Word-Powerpoint-Excel trilogy-
> they've got two of three, and when they land the third they'll be able
> to walk away from Office just like they did to IE.

the third already exists, but apple hasn't bought them out yet.  it's
called aabel by gigawiz, and it's an incredibly powerful spreadsheet
app... though not as "minimalistic" as the apple brand has come to be
associated with.  (it's also expensive compared to iwork's price point
and relative to ms-office.)

http://www.gigawiz.com/Aabel.html

apple's strategy may also instead be to find the "middle path" w/r/t
databases and filesystems (befs/coredata, webobjects) and a
spreadsheet app as an interface to that.

-z