[FoRK] The 10 most harmful books ever

Gordon Mohr gojomofork at xavvy.com
Wed Jun 8 16:54:46 PDT 2005

Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Damien Morton wrote:
>
>> Oh, dear, where to begin with this ....
>>
>> http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591
>>

> Heh, I expect the irony of "General Theory of Employment, Interest and
> Money" appearing on this list is completely lost on the Bushites. GWB
> will be remembered for ushering in the era of 'big government'
> Republicanism.

Has Nixon already been forgotten?

Here's a summary of Nixon, from a Bush-hata no less, that
makes Bush's big government initiatives look mild compared to
Nixon's:

[http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory40.html]
# With Nixon’s election, the Republicans once again shed
# themselves of their small-government veneer. Nixon
# created the EPA and OSHA and implemented the Philadelphia
# Plan, the first significant federal program of affirmative
# action, complete with racial quotas. He secretly carpet
# bombed Cambodia, continued the Great Society, started to
# give real life to federal drug policy, advocated draconian
# gun control, obliterated the last remnants of the gold
# standard, used the IRS to harass political enemies, and
# even implemented wage and price controls – one of the
# most significant assaults a social democratic state is
# capable of inflicting on the free market. The welfare
# state is bad enough; imposing standards on what people
# can charge customers and pay employees is economic fascism.

- Gordon