[FoRK] I keep feeling safer and safer.

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Jun 9 08:04:17 PDT 2005

Eugen wrote:
> Is there a noticeable drop in tourism? I sure see a lot of anecdotal cases
> where travelling to U.S. is Just Not an Option anymore.

Anecdotal only.  Foreign tourism to the US is projected to set a new record in 2005 both in
terms of the number of people and receipts.  There was a modest drop in 2001-2003, but it
came back sharply in 2004, is expected to break previous records this year, and is projected
to show strong growth for the next few years.  So says the Dept of Commerce anyway.

While travel the first couple years after Sept 2001 was a major pain in the ass, they've
managed to streamline it now such that it is not much more inconvenient than it was before
they gave the security monkeys fancy uniforms and called them the "TSA".  Getting a lengthy
visa is also stricter, but other than that it is the same as it ever was.

j. andrew rogers