[FoRK] I keep feeling safer and safer.

Regina Schuman rschuman at jfcsjax.org
Thu Jun 9 08:19:16 PDT 2005

gee, i wonder if it's the WEAK DOLLAR.

>>> "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> 6/9/2005 11:04:17
AM >>>
Eugen wrote:
> Is there a noticeable drop in tourism? I sure see a lot of anecdotal
cases
> where travelling to U.S. is Just Not an Option anymore.

Anecdotal only.  Foreign tourism to the US is projected to set a new
record in 2005 both in
terms of the number of people and receipts.  There was a modest drop in
2001-2003, but it
came back sharply in 2004, is expected to break previous records this
year, and is projected
to show strong growth for the next few years.  So says the Dept of
Commerce anyway.

While travel the first couple years after Sept 2001 was a major pain in
the ass, they've
managed to streamline it now such that it is not much more inconvenient
than it was before
they gave the security monkeys fancy uniforms and called them the
"TSA".  Getting a lengthy
visa is also stricter, but other than that it is the same as it ever
was.

j. andrew rogers