[FoRK] Wage gap

Eugen Leitl eugen
Mon Jun 13 02:56:42 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:44:58PM -0400, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Allan's working theory is that the US has insufficient education which
> leads to too many people competing for low-end jobs and not enough
> supply for high-end jobs, resulting in increasingly higher high-end job
> pay and downward pressure on low-end wages.

This is not U.S. here, but I very much doubt there's insuficient education.
Do you really need a chemistry Ph.D. to do grunt programming work? 90% of our
staff here are chemistry Ph.Ds., largely doing something you don't even need
a Bachelor's degree for.

I understand in the U.S. there's also an inflation of qualifications:
higher-educated displace lower-educated ones, at no increase in salary. Those
displaced either stay out of job, or occupy lower-paying ones, at the low end
having to compete with illegal immigrants.

Whatever is happening here, it's orthogonal to the wage and wealth
distribution.