[FoRK] Re: Wage gap

Corinna corinna
Mon Jun 13 07:44:16 PDT 2005

On  the other hand, my experience of the current educational system (having
gone through it, and having taught high school computer science for the last
3 years) is that the people with the most potential are the people who are
most hurt.  If we really want people with a focused desire to learn, we
should not make our institutions so successful at killing it.  Probably the
best schools are those that are not afraid to segregate their brightest -
like magnet schools.

My most intelligent students, almost to a tee, have mental problems which
are exacerbated by the school environment (their parents are surprisingly
unsympathetic or just clueless), and so they underachieve, fail, and don't
feel satisfied intellectually. (Note: I'm generalizing. There are occasional
students are are great, well-rounded, ambitious, and have supportive
families. But those are far less common.)

Compared to what they could be, they also have apalling levels of general
education (by which I mean, thinking ability, problem solving ability (I
almost had a rebellion in my CS class this year becuase they couldn't
generalize from the examples I kept giving them), asking philosophical
questions (religion, justice, that sort of thing), a sense of ethics, a feel
of where they fit into society as a whole and how they might contribute...

People who can, should homeschool... Everyone else... well, the system needs
rebuilding from the ground up. It's too big a job for me, so I became a
programmer again. Now I only teach my own kids.  :)

-Corinna

news:42ACE51A.9010907 at lig.net...