[FoRK] Gov't ends printing of postage; now privatized

Rohit Khare rohit
Mon Jun 13 11:49:11 PDT 2005

Talk about burying the punchline: if prices go up (as hoped), these
final stamps won't even be sold... and as for reporting oversights,
what, exactly, was the "decision to no longer treat stamps like
currency" -- who made it, when, and for our younger readers (under,
say, 70), what does that possibly mean?!

Google for the phrase, and the only hit is... this article! :)

Other oddities: a public bureaucracy with a .com address ( http://
www.moneyfactory.com/ )... Anyone else have a lead on answering this
question? Only public comment appears to be:
> 1894
> The Bureau of Engraving and Printing officially took over
> production of postage stamps in July 1894. The first of the works
> printed by the Bureau was placed on sale on July 18, 1894 and by
> the end of the first year of stamp production, the bureau had
> printed and delivered more than 2.1 billion stamps.
No press releases, nothing... the only usenet posting I could find is
at the bottom.

Rohit

After 111 Years, Postage Stamps Go Private
Bureau of Engraving Prints Its Last Rolls
By Bill McAllister
Special to The Washington Post
Monday, June 13, 2005; A17

The federal government printed its last postage stamps Friday.

The end to 111 years of stamp production by the Bureau of Engraving
and Printing (BEP) came without any public ceremony in the same 14th
Street building where many of the nation's most famous stamps have
been printed.

Workers pulled a final roll of 37-cent flag stamps from an aging,
four-color Andreotti press on the fourth floor. That simple act
terminated a once-thriving business that the Treasury Department
agency had monopolized for decades.

Now, private printers will produce all the nation's stamps, a
decision that U.S. Postal Service officials say will save tens of
millions of dollars a year. The bureau will concentrate on printing
currency, its other major product.

For Washington's 60 remaining stamp printers and many stamp
collectors, Friday marked a sad transition. Lawrence T. Graves, one
of BEP's senior stamp officials, called it "bittersweet . . . a sad
day."

"It's the end of an era that reflected some of finest workmanship in
government stamp design and security printing worldwide," said Rob
Haeseler, an official of the American Philatelic Society, the
nation's largest organization for stamp collectors.

Finances and what BEP Director Thomas A. Ferguson said was a decision
to no longer treat stamps like currency led postal officials away
from the hand-engraved stamps that were the bureau's hallmark and
toward cheaper, lithographed stamps. In the end, the bureau, with its
elaborate security system, unionized printers and large government
payroll, declared it could not compete with private printers.

The Postal Service actually began to chip away at the government
printing with a contract that gave some commemorative stamps to
private printers in 1978. The private printers' share of stamp
production grew steadily and accelerated when the agency turned to
self-adhesive stamps in the early 1990s.

Even so, Jerry L. Hudson Sr., chief of BEP's stamp production, said
officials were stunned when postal officials suggested in 1995 that
they wanted to end the bureau's stamp production altogether.

"We were very disappointed when this process started because we had
been in this stamp production for over 100 years, and there is a lot
of history here and an awful lot of postage stamps," Hudson said. "On
the other hand, we understand that times change."

When the end approached, the bureau arranged buyouts, retirements and
currency printing jobs for the stamp printers. They decided against a
final ceremony, fearing it might prove "too maudlin," said Ferguson,
who began his bureau career more than 30 years ago as a stamp quality
expert.

"Everyone here is proud of our contribution to the stamp program, and
[we] know that our work will live on in the albums of the collector
community for generations," Ferguson added.

Postal officials say the switch has already saved them a lot of
money. The Postal Service has three firms printing stamps and said
that competition cut its printing costs to $88.5 million in fiscal
2004 from a high of $135.5 million in fiscal 2001.

Overall stamp production climbed at the same time to 43.7 billion.

Ironically, many of the stamps the bureau printed last week may never
be sold.

If the Postal Service wins its recent request for a two-cent hike to
a 39-cent stamp, to be effective early next year, Hudson said, there
will no need for the bureau's last stamp run.