[FoRK] Steve's commencement address at Stanford this year

Rohit Khare khare
Tue Jun 14 11:17:14 PDT 2005

> President John Hennessy then welcomed the estimated 23,000 people
> in the stadium and, after a presentation of faculty, staff and
> student awards by Provost John Etchemendy, returned to the podium
> to introduce the keynote speaker.
>
> Hennessy said Jobs embodied the university's spirit, its
> "willingness to be bold and strike out in new directions." Hennessy
> also touched on Jobs' reputation as an innovator, a visionary and
> an advocate for education who developed partnerships during Apple's
> earliest days to get computers into schools and communities.
>
> Jobs began by rehashing the fact that he dropped out of college,
> and that Sunday's ceremony was the closest he had ever gotten to a
> university graduation. He then launched into the first part of his
> address, which focused on having faith that the dots of one's life
> will connect down the road, even if the journey so far has not
> followed a clear pattern.
>
> Jobs said his biological mother was an unwed graduate student who
> had planned to have him adopted. She had chosen a professional
> couple to be the adoptive parents, but because they wanted a girl,
> he was adopted by a husband and wife who didn't have college
> degrees, Jobs said.
>
> They pledged to send the boy to college, and when the time came, he
> chose Reed College in Portland, Ore. But because all of their
> savings was going toward his tuition, Jobs dropped out and began
> taking courses that interested him instead of those that were
> required?such as a calligraphy course that later inspired him to
> design different fonts in the first Macintosh.
>
> "Of course, it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward,"
> Jobs said. "You can only connect them looking backwards, so you
> have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future."
>
> Jobs also talked about love and loss, and how he discovered what he
> wanted to do in life at an early age. He was 20 years old when he
> and Steve Wozniak founded Apple, which in 10 years grew into a $2
> billion company with 4,000 employees. After his departure from
> Apple, Jobs went on to found NeXT Software Inc., which was
> subsequently bought by Apple in 1997?returning him to the company
> that got him started.
>
> "I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been
> fired from Apple," Jobs said. "I'm convinced that the only thing
> that kept me going was that I loved what I did."
>
> The last part of his speech was about death. When he was diagnosed
> with cancer about a year ago, Jobs said doctors expected him to
> live no longer than six months. He had surgery not long after and
> has since recovered, but the experience nonetheless taught him
> another lesson.
>
> "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's
> life," Jobs said. "Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown
> out your own inner voice."
>
> After a standing ovation, Hennessy brought the ceremony to a close
> [...]

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505
This is a transcript of the 2005 Commencement address by Steve Jobs,
CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios.
Thank you. I'm honored to be with you today for your commencement
from one of the finest universities in the world. Truth be told, I
never graduated from college and this is the closest I've ever gotten
to a college graduation.

Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No
big deal. Just three stories. The first story is about connecting the
dots. I dropped out of Reed College after the first six months but
then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I
really quit. So why did I drop out? It started before I was born. My
biological mother was a young, unwed graduate student, and she
decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I
should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for
me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife, except that when
I popped out, they decided at the last minute that they really wanted
a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the
middle of the night asking, "We've got an unexpected baby boy. Do you
want him?" They said, "Of course."

My biological mother found out later that my mother had never
graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from
high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only
relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would go
to college. This was the start in my life. And 17 years later, I did
go to college, but I naively chose a college that was almost as
expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings
were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't
see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life,
and no idea of how college was going to help me figure it out. And
here I was, spending all the money my parents had saved their entire
life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out
OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back, it was one of
the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out, I could
stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me and begin
dropping in on the ones that looked far more interesting.

It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room so I slept on the
floor in friends' rooms. I returned Coke bottles for the 5-cent
deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town
every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna
temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my
curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me
give you one example.

Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy
instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every
label on every drawer was beautifully hand-calligraphed. Because I
had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided
to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned about
serif and sans serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space
between different letter combinations, about what makes great
typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle
in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating.

None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life.
But 10 years later when we were designing the first Macintosh
computer, it all came back to me, and we designed it all into the
Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had
never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have
never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts, and
since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal
computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have
never dropped in on that calligraphy class and personal computers
might not have the wonderful typography that they do.

Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when
I was in college, but it was very, very clear looking backward 10
years later. Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward. You
can only connect them looking backward, so you have to trust that the
dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in
something?your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever?because believing
that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence
to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well-worn path,
and that will make all the difference.

My second story is about love and loss. I was lucky I found what I
loved to do early in life. Woz [Steve Wozniak] and I started Apple in
my parents' garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years,
Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion
company with over 4,000 employees. We'd just released our finest
creation, the Macintosh, a year earlier, and I'd just turned 30, and
then I got fired. How can you get fired from a company you started?
Well, as Apple grew we hired someone, who I thought was very
talented, to run the company with me, and for the first year or so,
things went well. But then our visions of the future began to
diverge, and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our board
of directors sided with him, and so at 30, I was out, and very
publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was
gone, and it was devastating. I really didn't know what to do for a
few months. I felt that I had let the previous generation of
entrepreneurs down, that I had dropped the baton as it was being
passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to
apologize for screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and
I even thought about running away from the Valley. But something
slowly began to dawn on me. I still loved what I did. The turn of
events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I'd been rejected but I
was still in love. And so I decided to start over.

I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple
was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness
of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner
again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the
most creative periods in my life. During the next five years I
started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar and fell in
love with an amazing woman who would become my wife. Pixar went on to
create the world's first computer-animated feature film, Toy Story,
and is now the most successful animation studio in the world.

In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT and I returned to
Apple. And the technology we developed at NeXT is at the heart of
Apple's current renaissance, and Laurene and I have a wonderful
family together.

I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been
fired from Apple. It was awful-tasting medicine, but I guess the
patient needed it. Sometimes life's going to hit you in the head with
a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that
kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what
you love, and that is as true for work as it is for your lovers. Your
work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to
be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work, and the
only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't
found it yet, keep looking and don't settle. As with all matters of
the heart, you'll know when you find it, and like any great
relationship it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So
keep looking. Don't settle.

My third story is about death. When I was 17 I read a quote that went
something like, "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday
you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and
since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every
morning and asked myself, "If today were the last day of my life,
would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the
answer has been "no" for too many days in a row, I know I need to
change something. Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most
important thing I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices
in life, because almost everything?all external expectations, all
pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure?these things just fall
away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid
the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already
naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30
in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I
didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was
almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I
should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor
advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctors'
code for prepare to die. It means to try and tell your kids
everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in
just a few months. It means to make sure that everything is buttoned
up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means
to say your good-byes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a
biopsy where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my
stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got
a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated but my wife, who was there,
told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope, the
doctor started crying, because it turned out to be a very rare form
of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery
and, thankfully, I am fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the
closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can
now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a
useful but purely intellectual concept: No one wants to die. Even
people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there, and
yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped
it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the
single best invention of life. It's life's change agent; it clears
out the old to make way for the new. Right now, the new is you. But
someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and
be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it's quite true. Your
time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't
be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other
people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out
your own inner voice, and most important, have the courage to follow
your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly
want to become. Everything else is secondary.

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called the Whole
Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was
created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo
Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in
the late '60s, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so
it was all made with typewriters, scissors and Polaroid cameras. It
was sort of like Google in paperback form 35 years before Google came
along. It was idealistic, overflowing with neat tools and great
notions. Stewart and his team put out several issues of the Whole
Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a
final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back
cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning
country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you
were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words "stay hungry, stay
foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. "Stay
hungry, stay foolish." And I have always wished that for myself, and
now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you. Stay hungry,
stay foolish.