[FoRK] Down with long distance.... Skype goes mobile

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Mon Jun 27 23:09:30 PDT 2005

Looked at this last week.

To use it you need

     1)    Two phones
     2)    Two GSM cards, ergo two wireless accounts
     3)    Two-stage dialing for every long distance call

Which adds up to...

TOO MUCH WORK.

All so that you can do what, save on long distance?  If I just signed
up for another $40/mo. wireless phone, bought some crazy $80 cable,
fucked around with software for hours on end, and sentenced myself to
having to two-stage dial every long distance recipient, I have cost
myself much more than I would spend in a year on Long Distance.

Sorry, I value my time.  This has no material effect on any business,
LD or otherwise.  The tyranny of distance rages on unabated, and
anyway it's not the distance between Peoria and your house -- it's
the distance between you and the network, and that's where you'll be
forced to bend over by large corporations for quite some time to
come, my friends.

Who do you think is raking in cash terminating all those VoIP minutes
on to the PSTN for Vonage and Skype?

Answer:  The Incumbents.

-Ian.