[FoRK] Down with long distance.... Skype goes mobile

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Tue Jun 28 05:44:52 PDT 2005

With many plans, such as a typical SprintPCS plan, the second phone is
"free" and often you can get cheaper phones for free for signing up.
Some commentary about the idea mentioned using one of your old phones.
Most plans now have unlimited mobile to mobile within the same account
or same mobile provider (like SprintPCS).  I have 5 phones on my account
(although the charge $10 or so for 3-5).

I think the point of using something like this is to avoid expensive LD,
like foreign to an "unusual" country that's not also now cheap.  Or a
better use is to allow mobile phone use to the Skype network rather than
PST.

I agree that it's still too cumbersome.  If only we had a Linux phone
with a hackable call interface, i.e. a Linux cell phone running Asterisk
locally.  1 year?  2?

sdw