[FoRK] Re: Mindmaps

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Jun 30 07:25:35 PDT 2005

The theory of the original MindMaps book (Tony and Barry Buzan) and much
of the literature surrounding it is that having a firm, concise, and
organized visual hierarchy of related ideas allows you to visualize,
remember, and work with knowledge better.  One of the biggest original
uses was for learning difficult and/or voluminous material, including
typical schoolwork.  The original idea (since it was produced a long
time ago) was to draw and illustrate mindmaps by hand with visual mnemonics.

I agree with the visual organization = easier to remember theory, at
least for those who have strong visual and spatial memory.

Whether it also helps in development of information, that is weaker but
seems ok.  It is a relatively simple technique with limited benefits,
however having a nice tool to help you create 2D hierarchies very
quickly is much better than using Word, Excel, or Visio, et al.

I've seen much more interesting visualization techniques (at a recent
UMD UCI symposium for instance), but the MindMap stuff is accessible in
tools you can get.

sdw