[FoRK] Mindmaps

Eugen Leitl eugen
Fri Jul 1 10:23:43 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:09:18AM -0600, Matt Jensen wrote:

> I strongly agree with you (at least in the case of small-to-medium data sets;
> large data sets get undeniable benefits from computerization).  I suppose
> another generation will show whether pen-and-paper lovers were the last people
> to be able to think on their own, or just a bunch of fuddy-duddies who couldn't
> see the future.

Computerised sketches are great for people who keep revising stuff, and can't
read their own handwriting.

Unfortunately at this point I'm completely unable to handle pen and paper.
This will only change by the time a tablet PC will force me to retrain good
enough for handwriting recognition. I have an USB tablet, but that thing is
almost useless with Linux, and I'm still avoiding to get hooked on
proprietary stuff like XP and OS X.

I agree that email/browsing culture destroys cognition by fragmentation (most
new Net people don't even bother to spell), memory, and inability to handle
dinosaur wiki is a symptom of the disease.