[FoRK] [selected.by.rael@rael-science.org: [rael-science] (with Rael comments) Next Dream for Venter: Create Entire Set of Genes]

Eugen Leitl eugen
Sat Jul 2 12:48:28 PDT 2005

Weird.

----- Forwarded message from selected by Rael <selected.by.rael at rael-science.org> -----

From: selected by Rael <selected.by.rael at rael-science.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:59:05 +0200
To: rael-science-select at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [rael-science] (with Rael comments)  Next Dream for Venter: Create Entire Set of Genes

Raelian Movement
for those who are not afraid of the future: http://www.rael.org

Rael's COMMENT
     Finally as I  announced it on behalf of our beloved creators 32 years
ago, we reach level 1 of the earth Elohimisation process : the creation of
the first synthetic DNA.
     Like the Elohim when they were about to come on earth to create  life
long time ago, and  some scientists on their planet did exactly the same
thing.
     Next step ? Yes , already there : some groups totally opposed to the
creation of "artificial life" calling themselves "ethical committees" who
will
claim that the creation of beings is the privilege of "god" or "mother
nature"...claiming that artificial bacterias can potentially  be hazardous
to  human health. And yes, may be one day (if it didn't not already happened
with AIDS or Ebola ..) one fatal bacteria will escape a laboratory
triggering a planetary interdiction of synthetic life creation which may be
voted by United Nations Organization...
     Then  ...scientists will have to continue to experiment creation of
more and more sophisticated forms of life  somewhere else...that means not
on the earth... so, it will be on another planet exactly like the Elohim did
long time ago !
     This will happen not only because nothing can stop science, but because
nothing can stop  reproduction at the macrobiological level. It is written
in the collective genetic code of the "baby humanity" composed of 6.5
billions cells : us. And  nothing can stop  the "baby humanity " when  it
reaches puberty, to reproduce the way macrobiology do it : by creating
artificial life  on another planet.

 Source: http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge163.html

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Biologist J. Craig Venter once raced the U.S.
government to complete the decoding of the human genome. Now, after
a maverick career studying the code of life, Dr. Venter has a new
goal: life itself.

Along with two veteran collaborators, Dr. Venter hopes to become the
first to whip up a made-to-order bacterium. Normally, new life is
created via reproduction, with each generation passing its genes on
to the next. But Dr. Venter aims to bypass that process by
manufacturing a complete set of genes, or genome, of a single-cell
bacterium in his laboratory. This man-made genome would be installed
inside a bacterium whose own genes have been removed.

By creating such a life form, Dr. Venter's researchers think they
may come closer to understanding what life is and how scientists can
manipulate it for the benefit of humankind. New artificial species
could open avenues for industrial production of drugs, chemicals or
clean energy.

"This is the step we have all been talking about. We're moving from
reading the genetic code to writing it," Dr. Venter says, swiveling
in his chair at his sprawling scientific headquarters here.

(Antonio Regaldo, "Next Dream for Venter: Create Entire Set of Genes
>From Scratch", The Wall Street Journal, June 29, 2005; Page A1)

"Ethics"  is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
new technologies.

There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

On the contrary, let us embrace Science and the new technologies
unfettered, for it is these which will liberate mankind from the
myth of god, and free us from our age old fears, from disease,
death and the sweat of labour.

                                    Rael

Tell your friends who love scientific news that they can
subscribe to this list !!

They can do it by sending a blank email to:
                  subscribe at rael-science.org

It?s free !

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

----- End forwarded message -----