[FoRK] Supreme Court justice,faces boot from home?

Adam L Beberg beberg
Sat Jul 2 17:42:37 PDT 2005

Ha Ha!

==========

THIS LAND WAS YOUR LAND
Supreme Court justice
faces boot from home?
Developer wants 'Lost Liberty Hotel' built upon property of David Souter
1:45 p.m. Eastern

By Ron Strom
? 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Justice David Souter

A private developer contacted the local government in Supreme Court
Justice David Souter's hometown in New Hampshire yesterday asking that
the property of the judge ? who voted in favor of a controversial
decision allowing a city to take residents' homes for private
development ? be seized to make room for a new hotel.

Logan Darrow Clements faxed a request to Chip Meany, the code
enforcement officer of the town of Weare, N.H., seeking to start the
application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road, the present
location of Souter's home.

Wrote Clements: "Although this property is owned by an individual, David
H. Souter, a recent Supreme Court decision, Kelo v. City of New London,
clears the way for this land to be taken by the government of Weare
through eminent domain and given to my LLC for the purposes of building
a hotel. The justification for such an eminent domain action is that our
hotel will better serve the public interest as it will bring in economic
development and higher tax revenue to Weare."

The Kelo v. City of New London decision, handed down Thursday, allows
the New London, Conn., government to seize the homes and businesses of
residents to facilitate the building of an office complex that would
provide economic benefits to the area and more tax revenue to the city.
Though the practice of eminent domain is provided for in the Fifth
Amendment of the Constitution, this case is significant because the
seizure is for private development and not for "public use," such as a
highway or bridge. The decision has been roundly criticized by
property-rights activists and limited-government commentators.

According to a statement from Clements, the proposed development, called
"The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Caf?" and
include a museum, open to the public, "featuring a permanent exhibit on
the loss of freedom in America." Instead of a Gideon's Bible in each
room, guests will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas
Shrugged," the statement said.

Clements says the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land
because it is a unique site ? "being the home of someone largely
responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans."

Souter has claimed Weare as his home since he moved there as an
11-year-old boy with his family.

"This is not a prank" said Clements. "The town of Weare has five people
on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of
eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel
development."

Clements says his plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy
pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would
then be used to raise additional capital for the project.

While Clements currently makes a living in marketing and video
production, he tells WND he has had involvement in real estate
development and is fully committed to the project.

"We will build a hotel there if investors come forward, definitely," he
said.

Clements is the CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, which is dedicated to
fighting "the most deadly and destructive force on the planet: abusive
governments," the website states.

The activist says he is aware of the apparent conflict of someone who is
strongly opposed to the Kelo decision using it to purposely oust an
American from his property.

"I realize there is a contradiction, but we're only going to use it
against people who advocated" the Kelo decision, Clements told WND.
"Therefore, it's a case of retaliation, not initiation."

Clements says some people have already offered to put money into the
project.