[FoRK] We've had our day...

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Tue Jul 5 12:38:54 PDT 2005

Down here in Brazil (Sao Paulo), I took an hour or so to wander around
a "design and decor": shopping mall near the hotel.

Beyond the usual oddities -- a food court serving Italian, Japanese*,
and other international cuisines in a mall filled with
European-influenced furniture and Persian/Asian rugs -- there were
several businesses clearly American in origin:

*  McDonald's

*  Bob's Burgers

*  Dryclean USA International (almost an oxymoron)

*  Fast Frame

It's pretty clear, making gross generalizations, that Sao Paulo's
buying classes look to Europe for style -- there's a Williams Sonoma
clone called Spicy with an umlaut over the I filled with Swiss and
German products -- and to the rest of the world for food, they look to
the US for fast service and cheap stuff.

So, that's our legacy: fast and cheap.  Not that there's anything
wrong with that, but I would have loved to see a few Prairie or
Craftsman pieces among the generic Scandinavian design-style furniture
and Italian semi-industrial decor (very Milan, I think, although I've
never been there),

Ken Meltsner

*
--

*  Which isn't surprising, to be honest.  There are big Japanese and
German communities in Sao Paulo; it's more bizaare when I encounter a