[FoRK] We've had our day...

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Tue Jul 5 13:48:52 PDT 2005

On 7/5/05, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:
> BTW, I've been buying some iPods at US prices for Irish friends and
> mailing them home, so there's no shortage of desire for these things.
> However, the markup of prices -- $299/EUR248 vs EUR319, a 28% markup on
> the online sites alone -- obviously isn't popular.

Markup may be taxes, import duties, etc.  Heck, in the US, most of us*
are supposed to pay sales (or use) tax of 5-8% on all purchases.
It's a use tax when your state of residence tells you to pay a sales
tax on out-of-state purchases.  New York has gone over to the malls in
New Jersey for years looking for NY plates so they can track down use
tax evaders.

Ken

*  Unless you live in a state without a sales tax, or in a state that
realizes that use taxes are almost impossible to collect.