[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Wed Jul 6 17:14:55 PDT 2005

On 6-Jul-05, at 4:26 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Ian, "Difficulty existing in competition with" is the essence and
> ultimate measure of "better".

Oh really?  Then science has it all wrong!  Why even bother with
control mechanisms in experimentation then?

The great race between Communism and Capitalism had nothing to do
with which was the better system -- it had everything to do with
which society was more capable of consuming resources -- not
necessarily more efficiently, but  -- faster, while preserving the
illusion of prosperity.  Guess what?  Capitalism won that race (at
the expense of the planet) and now the world's great beacon of
Capitalism balks at any mention of curtailing its continuing
exhaustion of the planet's ecosystem.

Now I'm no Marxist, but I sure don't support any system of belief
which ignores the limitations that the finite resources of this
planet must force upon it.  This is true of both Communism and
American Capitalism.  The commies at least had the good sense to call
it quits before it ate them alive -- I doubt America will be that smart.

> Read: "The Selfish Gene" - Richard Dawkins, second half where he
> defines a "meme".

I read this book more than a decade ago, one of dozens on the topic
toward achieving a degree in the field.  But thanks, and you're
taking his argument completely out of context.

-Ian.