[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Luis Villa luis.villa
Wed Jul 6 18:42:22 PDT 2005

On 7/6/05, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:

> On 6-Jul-05, at 2:39 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
> > Guess that pretty much explains the actions of Pol Pot. And
> > Chairman Mao. And Stalin.
>
> Guess that pretty much explains the actions of Johnson.  And Nixon.
> And Bush.  And Bush.

So all of the six above[1] invaded other countries uninvited. So the
list (so far) has 'proven' that type of government really doesn't
affect proclivity to invade neighbors, in the end not very surprising,
since neighbors aren't voters in either system.

But only half of that list starved massive percentages of their *own*
citizens, which suggests either failed economic systems, failed
government systems, or both.

Now, I'm actually inclined to agree with your core argument (given
that China will be writing all our history soon, if they can keep up
their economic growth, regardless of their political system) but
drawing anything other than superficial comparisons between Mao,
Stalin, Pol Pot, and any other leader who hasn't killed tens of
millions of their own people detracts from the 'political history is
written by the economic winners' point you're trying to make.

Luis

[1] excluding Bush the Elder, since, given the rest of your argument,
you find the Kuwaiti royal family a legit government who can invite
the US in, given Iraq's invation :)