[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Wed Jul 6 20:49:10 PDT 2005

I dashed off my last reply, so let me pick on more apparently-erroneous
points:

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
>

>> On 6-Jul-05, at 4:26 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Ian, "Difficulty existing in competition with" is the essence and
>>> ultimate measure of "better".
>>

>> Oh really?  Then science has it all wrong!  Why even bother with
>> control mechanisms in experimentation then?

In some cases you can have a placebo vs. nothing.  In other cases, you
can never quite get close to that.  Psychology has this problem,
especially developmental psychology.  This is pretty much the same
problem that parents have.  Each child's temperament and particular
kinds of choices is different, but you only get one shot at raising
them.  You can whatif all you want, but you can't raise them twice
through any period of youth.

>> The great race between Communism and Capitalism had nothing to do
>> with which was the better system -- it had everything to do with
>> which society was more capable of consuming resources -- not
>> necessarily more efficiently, but  -- faster, while preserving the
>> illusion of prosperity.  Guess what?  Capitalism won that race (at
>> the expense of the planet) and now the world's

Is it an illusion of prosperity if it lasts 100 years?  If there is
clearly a "slave" class that's hidden away somehow, that might be a
point, but that's a stretch for the US, even with the "under" class
"struggling".

>> great beacon of  Capitalism balks at any mention of curtailing its
>> continuing  exhaustion of the planet's ecosystem.

A) Other countries don't have to sell the US resources.  B) While it is
always wise to be efficient at the proper cost/benefit zone and you
don't want to "break" the ecosystem, few aspects of resource usage can't
be addressed when the time comes.  Even global warming can be handled in
a number of ways (including controlling sunlight through space mirrors).