[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Wed Jul 6 22:59:57 PDT 2005

On 6-Jul-05, at 6:42 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> But only half of that list starved massive percentages of their
> *own* citizens

So, to be pragmatic for a moment... why do we draw a line between,
say, the Stalinist purges and the industrial revolution in Western
Europe and America?  Millions died during that time as well, due to
the greed of (sorry to use the term AGAIN) capitalists and the
negligence of government?  Now to be even more pragmatic, let's
assume that Stalin achieved a level of industrialization in 20 years
in Russia which took 200 years to attain in the West... he did so by
killing essentially 10 million people (mostly men -- mostly rich
elites who were resistant to political change -- not that this really
matters ).  How many died in the Industrial Revolution?

America has the highest infant mortality rate in the industrialized
world, segregates by ethnicity despite grandiose proclamations that
it doesn't, and by the way is starving its own population every day:
600,000 men, women, and children go homeless every night.  Countless
more children go to school every day hungry.  Countless more consume
fast food (which debilitates their health) as their sole source of
nourishment, as it is all that they can afford on a working wage.
What's more there is a direct correlation between ethnicity and
suffering.  22% of blac males 35-44 had been to prison in 2001, vs.
3.5% for whites.  More than 2 million Americans work for a company
that pays them at below the poverty line.

And Bush, Johnson, Nixon, and Bush didn't just invade foreign
countries:  They carpet bombed and killed hundreds of thousands of
innocent civilians and conscripts -- millions of deaths between them
in a span of less than 30 years.  When you peel back the layers of
the onion, this gallery of war criminals makes Stalin look like a
progressive.

I'm sorry, but I don't draw a line between the negligence of the
ruling elite and the ruthlessness of a dictator.  And I think the
scoreboard's pretty even.

Oh... and by the way, any ideas what crime most of the victims of
Stalin's purges were convicted of?

Answer:  "Terrorism".  Hello, Camp X-Ray!

-Ian.