[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Wed Jul 6 23:06:18 PDT 2005

On 6-Jul-05, at 5:32 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> So, what are all of those finite resources that America is wasting
> to the definite detriment of all future generations?
> Do you think we're going to run out of water?  Air?  Helium?  What?

Yes.  Add to that list oil, protein, vegetation... read up on
Babylon.  You know all that sandy desertified footage of Iraq?  Do
you think that was what it looked like when the Tigris-Euphrates
valley was the birthplace of civilization?  We thrived in the garden
of Eden all right, just up until the point we exhausted its resources
and turned the garden into a lifeless tundra.

> In your answer, please explain how it is impossible for the human
> race to recover from the gross misuse of the planet thus far.

Oh we'll recover all right, just after about 6 billion of us starve
ourselves back to the stone age, taking with us hundreds of thousands
of unique species of flora and fauna.  If you think 10 Billion, or
even 4 Billion, people can maintain the same standard of living as
you do for any length of time you're a fool.  Your success is
supported by the suffering of others.

-Ian.