[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Wed Jul 6 23:39:40 PDT 2005

On 6-Jul-05, at 8:49 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Is it an illusion of prosperity if it lasts 100 years?

Let me know when you get to 100.

> If there is clearly a "slave" class that's hidden away somehow,
> that might be a point, but that's a stretch for the US, even with
> the "under" class "struggling".

It's not hidden away -- unless you choose to pretend it's not there.
Thanks to globalization, the slave class has been outsourced.

> While it is always wise to be efficient at the proper cost/benefit
> zone and you don't want to "break" the ecosystem, few aspects of
> resource usage can't be addressed when the time comes.

Easter Island still has hardly any trees, after the population used
every last one of them more than 600 years ago.  In geologic time
everything recovers to a point.  The desertification of North Africa
is irreversible.  The melting of the polar icecaps accelerates
exponentially as the ground beneath them heats as light reaches it,
therefore accelerating the melting of the ice even further.  That ice
was formed tens of thousands of years ago... you think it'll just re-
freeze and expand by millions of acres over a couple of winters when
we all finally go out and buy a Prius?

> Even global warming can be handled in a number of ways (including
> controlling sunlight through space mirrors).

Seriously, this is just about the most ridiculous attempt at an
argument I have ever heard.  SPACE MIRRORS to cure Global
Warming?!?!  Is that right after they finish building the Death Ray
(tm) on the Moon?

-Ian.