[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Eugen Leitl eugen
Thu Jul 7 01:16:43 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:12:41AM -0700, Joe Barrera wrote:
> Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
>
> > Seriously, this is just about the most ridiculous attempt at an
> > argument I have ever heard. SPACE MIRRORS to cure Global
> > Warming?!?! Is that right after they finish building the Death Ray
> > (tm) on the Moon?
>
> You can combine both ideas, of course. Imagine a giant lens
> between the earth and the sun at L1. Normally you keep
> the lens tilted so that that the focus is pointed somewhat
> away from the earth. But, if you want the death ray, then
> you tilt the lens so that the sunlight is focused on the earth,
> cooking your enemies like bugs under a kid's magnifying
> glass.

Actually with orbital/lunar power beamed down (phased-array)
by microwave to ground-based rectenna arrays you can reduce the carbon
dioxide release rate by fossil burn, so there's a chance for sequestration by
photosynthesis.

If there's enough hardware up there to measurably reduce insolation... you
won't see much difference between night and day.