[FoRK] Re: ABCNEWS.com: Now, the Sun Prevents Skin Cancer -- Right?

Adam L Beberg beberg
Thu Jul 7 08:07:45 PDT 2005

Corinna wrote on 7/7/2005 5:51 AM:
> This actually makes a lot of sense. After all, just think of our
> evolutionary history.  The popular perception of health is that it's really
> simple, just eat fortified foods (now with calcium!, extra folate!), right?.
>
> Adelle Davis was saying lots of very sensible things 30+ years ago, that
> people seem to think are breakthroughs today...

I must have missed a memo, wasn't the sunlight -> vitamin D chain of
events in play  well before any FoRKer was born?

I remember learning as a kid that I can't go out in the sun for more
then 10 minutes because I'm almost transparently white and will die of
cancer after all my skin falls off, and blacks cannot live in the north
because they have serious vitamin D problems.

Going forward, this is a trivial gene to tweak, so pigmentation will be
  set based on your latitude for cancer reasons when you order up a kid,
and human bodies will make D without sunlight with some non-trivial
tweaking.

All I know for sure is my skin was much happier at 45'N, instead of my
current burning pealing painful sunny every day 37'N.

Don't ask me if eggs are good for you or deadly this week, I lost track.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/