[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Jul 7 13:57:51 PDT 2005

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:

> On 6-Jul-05, at 8:49 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
>> Is it an illusion of prosperity if it lasts 100 years?
>

> Let me know when you get to 100.

Sure, if you are around.

>> If there is clearly a "slave" class that's hidden away somehow,  that
>> might be a point, but that's a stretch for the US, even with  the
>> "under" class "struggling".
>

> It's not hidden away -- unless you choose to pretend it's not there.
> Thanks to globalization, the slave class has been outsourced.

>> While it is always wise to be efficient at the proper cost/benefit
>> zone and you don't want to "break" the ecosystem, few aspects of
>> resource usage can't be addressed when the time comes.
>

> Easter Island still has hardly any trees, after the population used
> every last one of them more than 600 years ago.  In geologic time
> everything recovers to a point.  The desertification of North Africa
> is irreversible.  The melting of the polar icecaps accelerates
> exponentially as the ground beneath them heats as light reaches it,
> therefore accelerating the melting of the ice even further.  That ice
> was formed tens of thousands of years ago... you think it'll just re-
> freeze and expand by millions of acres over a couple of winters when
> we all finally go out and buy a Prius?

Desertification is irreversible?  Really?  We can plan terraforming of
Mars but we can't add water to a desert?  I don't believe it.

>> Even global warming can be handled in a number of ways (including
>> controlling sunlight through space mirrors).
>

> Seriously, this is just about the most ridiculous attempt at an
> argument I have ever heard.  SPACE MIRRORS to cure Global
> Warming?!?!  Is that right after they finish building the Death Ray
> (tm) on the Moon?

You do know that this idea has been proposed many times?  (Red Earth,
Green Earth, Blue Earth on Mars terraforming for instance.)
Mylar (or similar) can be stretched super thin, the gigantic surface
area allows power production to run ion engines to keep it in place,
etc.  Lots of ideas that could work.

I would continously boost modules to form a cooperative grid.  This way,
micrometior failures can be replaced easily.