[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Jul 7 13:59:40 PDT 2005

Does it truly make sense to artificially force capital investment before
it is needed?
Probably not, unless there is a dangerous tipping point lurking nearby.

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:

> The world won't make the capital investment until they have to,
> indeed.  One way to make it economically viable is to artificially
> inflate the cost of burning oil and natural gas (fossil fuels in
> general) by placing limits on their emissions, and by creating a free
> market for the exchange of what are effectively emissions rights.
> This is what the EU has done, this is what they have been asking Bush
> to do in fulfilling the intent of the Kyoto accord.
>
> The result of the EU's system, which comes directly from a book called
> "The Ecology of Commerce", is a hell of a lot of real-world technical
> innovation in diversifying their power generation infrastructure, not
> to mention reducing their industrial emissions.  Bush says that
> "technology" will come along to solve this problem in America and yet
> little has occurred in this area precisely because the US provides no
> incentive for innovation.  Ergo, Bush is a hypocrite (revelation!) and
> SDW is guilty of blindly buying into his line of bullshit.

I don't buy into Bush's explanations at all.  It's obvious that
premature optimization is a possible problem here.

> Oil isn't just used to produce energy and power SUVs.  It fertilizes
> soil, produces plastics and synthetics, and probably is a key
> ingredient in McDonald's milkshakes.  Oil should be conserved for uses
> where it has unique value and we should have weaned ourselves off of
> fossil fuels for common power and transport long ago.  Assholes like
> Bush stand directly in the way of this.

Frozen yogurt is based on crude oil?  You're out there.

> It might surprise this crowd to learn that I'm actually in favour of
> safe, accountable nuclear power generation facilities combined with
> effective waste disposal.  Combined with Hydrogen-powered transport
> the combination makes for a pretty potent emissions-free punch.

Nuclear hysteria is probably the saddest development of the last 50 years.
Now that we can treat most cancers reasonably well, we should be good to
go.  ;-)

sdw