[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Matt Jensen mattj
Thu Jul 7 16:04:19 PDT 2005

Quoting "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net>:

> Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
>
> > Oil ... probably is a key ingredient in McDonald's milkshakes.
>
> Frozen yogurt is based on crude oil?  You're out there.

I think Ian was using "hyperbole" to illustrate a point.  However, I believe
those shakes used a lot of coconut *oil*, until some years back.  Currently
they have no oils per se (see below), but there are dozens of McD items that
have hydrogenated oils.  Interestingly, the one drink that does contain coconut
oil is PowerAde Mountain Blast, which I didn't expect. Yuck.  Not that "corn
syrup solids" sounds much better.

-Matt Jensen
 http://mattjensen.com
 Seattle

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.ingredients.index.html#6

 Chocolate Triple Thick? Shake:
Shake Mix: Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids,
mono and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan,
cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. Chocolate Syrup: High fructose corn syrup,
corn syrup, water, cocoa (processed with alkali), natural (vegetable source)
and artificial flavor, salt, potassium sorbate as a preservative, vanillin. May
contain small amounts of other shake flavors served at the restaurant, including
egg ingredients when Egg Nog Shakes are available.