[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Thu Jul 7 16:15:56 PDT 2005

On 7-Jul-05, at 3:20 PM, Joe Barrera wrote:
> Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
>
>>  Space mirrors to reduce global warming and terraforming Mars and the
>>  sands of Earthly deserts? We can "plan to terraform" til we're blue
>>  in the face, but has anyone "terraformed" even one square foot of
>> desert?
>
> Have you never been to Southern California?
> Holy shit I am just realizing that you never have.

Southern California has been "terraformed" by diverting water, on a
massive scale, away from other more worthy farmland areas, such as
Montana and Colorado.  It's zero sum.  Cast expanses of Montana like
the Bitterroot Valley have all but dried up.. Americans have
exchanged arable farmland for tract housing in the San Fernando
Valley.  That ain't terraforming, that's resource reallocation.

I feel like an idiot, but am about to debate this point ->
Terraforming, as we all know from Star Trek II:  The Wrath of Khan,
is the building of an ecosystem where one did not exist.  This is the
sort of ludicrousness which SDW thinks will save us from our own
ignorance.  And that is as far as I'm willing to go in debating
nonscience, or nonsense.

-Ian.