[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Jim Whitehead ejw
Thu Jul 7 16:47:16 PDT 2005

> Has anyone informed you that Arthur C. Clarke is a Science
> FICTION writer?
>
> Terraforming is nothing more than the imaginings of creative
> dreamers.  Mylar skins for our atmosphere are an even more
> humourous imagining.  And with no economic incentive to put
> any of these systems in place, how do you imagine that these
> thousand-trillion- dollar megaprojects would even be
> attempted?  Philanthropy on the part of messurs Brin and Gates?
>
> You do realize it's 2005, right?

Ian,

Is your argument

(a) these technologies are infeasible given our current state of technical
knowledge

Or

(b) the cost/benefit ratio is too high for the technologies to be
politically viable?

One can assert the technologies can solve the problem even if (b) is true.

- Jim