[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Eugen Leitl eugen
Fri Jul 8 01:24:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:47:28PM -0700, Elias Sinderson wrote:
> Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
>
> >[...] has anyone "terraformed" even one square foot of  desert?
>
> Uhmm, Israel - or maybe that doesn't technically count as
> 'terraforming.' Whatever, it's fucking impressive either way.

Nobody has so far managed to build sustainable closed-loop ecosystems in
hermetic packages. Nobody. The last credible (i.e., not pure PR like
Biosphere II) attempt was the subterranean facility in Novosibirsk,
which has been shut down a while ago.

If we want to completely insulated from global breakdown of ecosystems, this
is what you need to achieve. Of course, no primates in space until then,
either.