[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Jul 8 07:43:36 PDT 2005

Actually, I did point out that it is always a good idea to be efficient
(which is conservation).  Of course I favor a dual approach.  It sounds
like many of the Green-leaning folk don't expect any technical advances,
which is shortsighted.

Where the tough decisions come in is in determining the cost/benefit
decision points.  There are far too many people making assumptions,
insisting on action or inaction, wanting to act too early or too late.
We need more experiments, investigation, modeling, etc.  Assertions that
the only solution is that we go back to agrarian or stone ages are not
very helpful because it won't happen.  That is not unlike saying that 50
or 100 years ago were the good old days when there was no female voting,
virtual slavery, and many other ills too vile to be outweighed by
whatever minor squable is irritating someone.

sdw