[FoRK] "What did the president know and when did he know it?"

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Fri Jul 8 13:31:25 PDT 2005

On 8-Jul-05, at 1:01 PM, Justin Mason wrote:

>> It's clear from the discussions at the G8 and from Kyoto that America
>> (Bush) and China (unfair to target only two, but they're the biggest)
>> now view their willingness to hollow the ecosystem as a global
>> competitive advantage, which will undermine efforts by ecologically-
>> conscious nations to conserve using economic levers.  It does so by
>> making their products non-competitive on the international scene and
>> therefore any and all efforts to conserve or innovate effectively
>> neuter the nation or company which undertakes them.
>
> Spot on -- 100% agreed on all points.

Even if the US were to break ranks with the Asians, together the G8
could effectively tariff the shit out of the goods from nations who
don't adhere to Kyoto to even the playing field, however without the
participation of the world's largest consumer market the point of
such an effort is moot.

And while the economic construct of trying to account for
environmental and societal damage or the impact of resource
extraction (as opposed to the false economy of "production") is fuzzy
at best, it can do no worse than the false constructs we have in
place today, which is just plain delusional.

As my beloved pointed out when she read one of SDW's earlier
messages, not every city on earth is like Silicon Valley.

-Ian.