[FoRK] So why the fuck aren't checksums built into the fucking filesystem?

Wayne Baisley baisley
Tue Jul 12 20:11:35 PDT 2005

> this all over onto ext3, assuming it supports striping (I assume it does).

Yep.  See http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html for gory details,
but it's pretty straightforward.  The /etc/raidtab file describes the layout.
   The mkraid command builds the unit(s).  /proc/mdstat contains the current
state.  There are other commands like raidhotadd, if you want to get fancy.
We've used ext3 and software striping for years and have had very little
trouble.  We use xfs for huge hardware arrays where fragmentation is an issue.
  Nothing but xfs survives our benchmark test.  I don't think that will be an
issue for you.

Cheers,
Wayne