[FoRK] So why the fuck aren't checksums built into the fucking filesystem?

Eugen Leitl eugen
Wed Jul 13 01:34:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:35:04PM -0700, Joe Barrera wrote:

> Cool. So the other question -- perhaps the more important question --
> is: why
> the hell is a filesystem not just a fuckin APPLICATION, independent of
> the OS?

Because "architects" don't understand the need for an OS which scales from
deep embeddeds to supercomputers. A minimal kernel only needs message
passing, memory allocation and a subset of MPI (preferrably, as opcodes).
If it needs more than 4-10 kBytes, there's something really wrong.

Any of the Linux/*BSD programmer clowns assumes a desktop-like machine as a target.

> It's because it's not that I judge the whole Mach/"micro"kernel thing to
> be a
> complete and total failure.

Mach is not a microkernel. http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/ is already
reasonably bloated.