[FoRK] Re: Re: ABCNEWS.com: Now, the Sun Prevents Skin Cancer --Right?

kelley at inkworkswell.com kelley
Wed Jul 13 14:45:07 PDT 2005

At 04:42 PM 7/13/2005, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>Jim Whitehead wrote:
>>>I'd love to know who the genius was who came up with the idea of eating
>>>other species' unfertilised ova, and drinking the milk from lactating bovines.
>>
>>So, last night I watched the first episode of the PBS special "Guns, Germs
>>and Steel" (based on the book). In it, they hypothesized that the reason
>>humans started drinking animal milk and eating eggs was to supplement their
>>protein intake, since the most widely available plants often didn't contain
>>sufficient protein.
>>- Jim
>
>How bout this explanation... early humans were always hungry (kinda like
>how grandmothers are always cold and never know what time it is. Only
>different.). If milk & eggs were good enough for the other animials to
>eat, they were probably good enough for us early humans to eat.
>
>Now whoever invented (or discovered?) beer, now that lad be a true genius :)

milk isn't too hard to figure out, given that they probably nursed infants
well into toddlerhood! Oh, gee, babies and toddlers drink milk, maybe this
stuff tastes good from a human _and_ a goat?

Side note:  I was just reading in _Vanity Fair_ about the infamous gossip
column Page 6. One of the writers for the column said that it wasn't just
amazing what people did, it was amazing what they didn't mind having
published about them.

So, Kirstie Alley had a baby possum, which she toted along with her while
talking with a publicist.
The possum started to whimper, obviously hungry, and Alley said to the
publicist, "Hey! You're breastfeeding, right?"

Well, the possum had teeth, so the publicist wasn't keen on that. But she
_was_ willing to express milk so the possum could drink from a bottle. And
that she did. When Page 6 called her about it, the publicist said she'd
done it and she was _proud_.

And I'm not even going to _talk_ about male breastfeeding. :)

Kelley