[FoRK] Warning Labels on Fat Kids..

Justin Mason jm
Thu Jul 14 15:43:29 PDT 2005

I agree HFCS is nasty stuff -- when I moved to the US, I spent about 3
months feeling ill every time I drank a bottle of soda.  I can only think
it'd be the HFCS.   (There were one or two brands that didn't contain it,
and they went down fine.)    I've gone native since then, though ;)

(BTW the sans-HFCS sodas were *some* of the Pompelmo sodas Trader Joe's
carries -- some did contain it, but some do not.)

However, in my opinion the lack of exercise is a factor, too -- a recent
study of LA residents found that no less than 40% said they got no more
than 10 minutes of continuous physical activity per week. [1]  Many people
elsewhere still walk or cycle daily, and that's a big improvement on
driving in terms of burning off some of the lard.

[1]: http://www.news-medical.net/?id=3257

I can't talk, though -- since moving here, I've been working from home.
Having no commute at all to burn fat with is no good for my waistline :(

- --j.