[FoRK] Warning Labels on Fat Kids..

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Jul 14 21:46:55 PDT 2005

Excercise is the real issue IMHO....

All of this non-scientific mumbo-jumbo about non-organic sugars or HFCS
compared to "natural" sugars is just silly.  Sugars are very simply
molecules.  Sucrose is just a combination of dextrose (half as sweet)
and fructose (twice as sweet), and your body converts it into those
components (after a period of minutes I believe).  I learned (or
mislearned) all of that in high school.  I thought all of you furriners
were supposed to be more knowledgable in science than us lowly
Amuricans??  ;-)

The different sugars DO taste different and give different densities to
their mixtures; they are not really very interchangable in the same
recipe.  When I was in high school, I happened to find out that the
local bakery, where many high schoolers would walk for lunch, used
dextrose almost exlusively as a sweetener.  Candy like hard or chewy
fruit flavored items often use fructose to get a high spike in sweetness.

Unless you are talking about left-handed vs. right-handed molecules
(which I don't think applies to sugars) or adding odd, non-digestable,
atoms or chains (Sucralose, fat-free oils, et al), there really are just
a few sugars that are the same no matter what the source.  Fructose is
fructose, sucrose is sucrose.

Fructose DOES enter your bloodstream immediately vs. the digestion time
on sucrose, but other than the spikiness, I don't think it is that much
different.

I think all of the scare over sugar is A) a hold over from the
anti-cavity campaigns from the 70s and B) misguided and over-widely
applied diabetes scares.  As you should have read with regard to B), it
is an overdose of lipids that has been proven to be a major way (and
maybe THE way) that causes Type II diabetes.

sdw