[FoRK] Re: Is "fire" one syllable or two?

James Tauber jtauber
Fri Jul 15 06:34:36 PDT 2005

Who mentioned consonants?

[ai] alone is a diphthong. In "fire" there is a glide to a third
sound which, in British and Australian English is a schwa. Thus it's
a triphthong in at least those dialects.

if @ = schwa, I roughly pronounce it /fai@/

James