[FoRK] So why the fuck aren't checksums built into the fucking filesystem?

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Wed Jul 13 06:06:18 PDT 2005

Stupid/ignorant response to the "Why no checksums?" -- the underlying
disk has CRC checks for raw data integrity, so the OS doesn't have to.

Windows has the exceptionally broken concept that it "repairs" bad
blocks by replacing the corrupted block(s) with all FFs.  So, when you
run chkdisk and it helpfully suggests that it can repair the disk, it
replaces possibly bad data with known-to-be bad data.  I can't think
of a better repair approach, but I'm relatively certain that this is
the wrong idea.

Ken Meltsner