[FoRK] Re: Re: ABCNEWS.com: Now, the Sun Prevents Skin Cancer--Right?

Regina Schuman rschuman
Wed Jul 13 15:03:52 PDT 2005

 (and bred, perhaps intentionally
with purpose, perhaps not).

not, according to
http://canidae.ca/dog.htm  and
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/02.17/11-foxy.html

geege

Justin Mason wrote:

> Bill Stoddard writes:

>>>So, last night I watched the first episode of the PBS special
"Guns,
>>>Germs and Steel" (based on the book). In it, they hypothesized that
>>>the reason humans started drinking animal milk and eating eggs was
>>>supplement their protein intake, since the most widely available
>>>plants often didn't contain sufficient protein.
>>
>>How bout this explanation... early humans were always hungry (kinda
like
>>how grandmothers are always cold and never know what time it is.
Only
>>different.). If milk & eggs were good enough for the other animials
>>eat, they were probably good enough for us early humans to eat.
>

> That flies for eggs, but milk?  extracting milk from another species,
and
> drinking it?  still strikes me as odd -- I've never seen another
animal
> trying out inter-species milk-drinking.

Jim replied off-list that milk production implies domestication, to
which I replied:

-//-

Good point. I wonder if it was milk production that prompted
domestication
(my guess would be yes) or somthing else? It's not difficult to
envision an
early human watching a calf feed, capturing/killing the calf for food
and
somehow milking the cow. That would be pretty much impossible if the
cow were
anything like a cape buffalo. More likely they killed the calf and cow
then
extracted the milk from the cow. Hungry humans would not waste anything
from
a kill, eating everything including the bone marrow. When food was more
plentiful,
they would remember how good the milk tasted, and thus begins
domestication of
animals for milk prodution. Aggressive animals were killed off (or they
killed
their keepers). Docile animals were kept around (and bred, perhaps
intentionally
with purpose, perhaps not).

Bill