[FoRK] audio news

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Jul 14 05:42:19 PDT 2005

I agree with the feature list.  I've thought in the past that this ought
to be doable for a lot of content.  The old idea of mob rating of
published works (conceived of as published stories, books, and articles;
demonstrated somewhat by Slashdot and Amazon review ratings) could be
applied to public production of podcasted readings of all kinds of
information.  You need a proper royalty model of course for the original
copyright owners and some kind of ratings-based ranking of readings and
remuneration of the reader based on popularity / transactions.

Certainly all of the people driving too much commuting could make use of
this kind of service, not to mention the sight impaired.

Done well, I think it is worth more than $1/mo.  Still, you should go
for volume, not high fees.  For paid copyrighted works, a key aspect is
not charging people twice.  If they already subscribe to the New York
Times, they should not pay a second royalty for an audio version of it
(although the nominal reader fee/royalty would be expected).

sdw