[FoRK] Westmoreland Dies...

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Tue Jul 19 12:36:15 PDT 2005

There is a difference between the odds being high (implying high
probability of a very bad outcome) vs. the odds seeming to be very
high.  The thing with many wars is that the odds of a really bad outcome
aren't really all that high.  Many would argue that the N. Korean's won
a worse fate than they would have "lost".

As with many civil wars, the US would have been better off to have found
a better way to transition.  The transition was inevitable; the civil
war was about the worst, but fastest, path.  We've all benefitted from
the civil war, in medicine if nothing else (besides the obvious civil
rights), but there had to have been other paths.

sdw