What SDW meant [Re: [FoRK] Westmoreland Dies...]

Lucas Gonze lgonze
Tue Jul 19 16:21:25 PDT 2005

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> I really don't know to what extent those would be considered to be
> "colonized" in the unwilling "conquer the natives" sense.
> Certainly, to me it seems nothing like GB and India.  From Jefferson
> on, the US will sometimes buy land to get in, but that seems
> qualitatively different.  Another alternative non-conquering
> "colonization" method is probably extension of our defense perimeter
> by agreement.

In Hawaii at least, it was very much the unwilling conquer the natives
sense, though the Hawaiians never had the military strength for outright
battle.  For example, annexation day is not something to celebrate.

- Lucas