[FoRK] Life at 1 degree north

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Mon Jul 25 00:42:52 PDT 2005

I'm in Singapore for the last leg of a world tour for internal
training at my company.

Coming in to the airport, I noticed our coordinates were about 1
degree north.  Now, Wisconsin is about 45 degrees north, so I expected
things would be different.

For example, I've seen thunderstorms and downpours in the Midwest and
even storms (not hurricanes) in Florida, but this is pretty
impressive.  And apparently, it happens most days.

I've managed to freak out a few students with tales of Wisconsin
winters -- -20 C isn't uncommon for me, but sounds like it's just
short of the Antarctic if you live where 10 C is considered cold --
given the reaction to the prospect of living through a -10 C or worse
week, I didn't need to bring out the big guns (the night in Penn. when
the temperature dropped to -26 F or almost -30 C).

However, I'm pretty freaked out by the sheer amount of water coming
down during an every day (around here) storm  My guess is this is why
my flight home takes off at 6:45 am; any later, and you might as well
give up until after sunset.  It also explains the foot-deep gutters
around the sidewalks in the low spots near our hotel (and the distinct
lack of basements...).

My apologies to everyone from temperate or tropical countries that
I've ribbed about not being able to take "real" weather.

Ken Meltsner

--
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty
good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream