[FoRK] What's that sound???

Elias Sinderson elias
Wed Jul 27 13:08:08 PDT 2005

Albert S. wrote:

>[...] Most people think Saudi Arabia is the largest source of oil to the U.S. but it is actually Canada.

This casually depends on the sources you use (and when their data was
collected) and whether you are talking about crude or refined petroleum.
At various points in the recent past, Saudi Arabia, Canada and Mexico
have all held the coveted position of selling us the most crude.
Conveniently enough, the latest set of statistics on this was released
yesterday:

    /*May 2005 Import Highlights: Released on July 26, 2005*/
    /Monthly data on the origins of crude oil imports in May 2005 has
    been released and it shows that two countries have exported more
    than 1.5 million barrels per day or more to the United States.
    Including those two countries, a total of five countries exported
    over 1.0 million barrels per day of crude oil to the United States
    (see table below). The top sources of US crude oil imports for May
    were Mexico (1.748 million barrels per day), Canada (1.722 million
    barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1.430 million barrels per day),
    Venezuela (1.273 million barrels per day), and Nigeria (1.111
    million barrels per day). The rest of the top ten sources, in order,
    were Iraq (0.588 million barrels per day), Angola (0.341 million
    barrels per day), Ecuador (0.238 million barrels per day), Kuwait
    (0.213 million barrels per day), and United Kingdom (0.194 barrels
    per day). Total crude oil imports averaged 10.166 million barrels
    per day in May, which is a decrease from April of 0.148 million
    barrels per day. The top five exporting countries accounted for 72
    percent of United States crude oil imports in May and the top ten
    sources accounted for approximately 87 percent of all U.S. crude oil
    imports. [1]/

The above source has a couple of nice charts showing both crude and
petroleum imports, which I've chosen not to include here. There is also
a set of links at the bottom of the page leading to more detailed
reports on this and other related stuffs, both current and historical,
in several formats for your munging pleasures.

>Ironically Canada also has the most to gain from global warming. Think about it, all that fozen Arctic tundra becomes habitable.

Habitable, perhaps, but arable, largely not. There is this thing in
Canadia called the 'Laurentian Shield,' or 'Laurentian Plateau,' which
is a massive expanse of precambrian rock, estimated to be almost 200k
thick in places, scoured almost bare by the last ice age. There is a
thin covering of poor soil in some forested areas but it isn't much good
for farming, only logging or mining, or both. So, yes, one could live
there, but life would be rough and you'd have to either import your
food, import top soil (ha!) or resort to hydroponics. Hydroponics may be
your best bet, as there is an abundant supply of fresh water in the
lakes, or there would be until it was polluted by the massive runoff
caused by logging and mining. [2]

>[...] I'd tell you George Bush was just a puppet of the Canadian Government, but you'd think I was completely off my rocker.

Puppet, yes. Canadian puppet? Ha!   :-P

Regards,
Elias

[1]